Monday, January 7, 2008

A Cause to Fight For

So many of you, my blogger friends, have wonderful causes that you draw attention to. Oftentimes I have felt somewhat ashamed that I am not working for anything but now I too have a cause, a purpose, a calling!!! What you may ask? Drum roll please....It is to rid the world of all race car/truck/novelty shopping carts!!! Not a cause as worthy as some, but a cause nonetheless.

Some of you probably don't even know what I am talking about. You are the ones whose kids are too old to use these monstrosities. You are at a point in life that allows you to let your children roam freely through all kinds of retail centers unafraid of the havoc they may wreak on unsuspecting jars of mayonnaise and innocent loaves of bread. These carts are usually designed as race cars or some other form of transportation. I'm quite positive some MAN thought he was being so helpful when he designed them. I can hear him thinking, "What a great idea for a mom who is shopping with her kids. This will be something to entertain them." Yeah, right.

Here is what I don't like about these "modern conveniences."

1. They are huge and cumbersome.
2. They don't hold as many groceries as regular carts do.
3. They are hard to steer because they are longer, wider, and (see number one) huge and cumbersome.
4. When I am using them I always have at least one accident with items on a shelf or another shopper.
5. They are always covered in some kind of unidentifiable sticky, slimy mess.
6. Due to number 5, it takes me 10 minutes longer to get my shopping trip started because I have to wipe down every inch of the cart.
7. Each store (even Menard's has sold me out) only has two to three of these objects which leads to tears and whining if one is not available to use.
8. If I say "not today" to using these objects then I also will most likely have to put up with tears and whining from my children and skunk-eyes from all the other childless shoppers who can't understand why I don't want to use one of those "cute, little, race car carts."
9. If the cart is designed so that the kids sit in the front towards the ground, then they can take things off the shelf while you are shopping and be eating them without your knowledge. (Yes, that really did happen!!)
10. If my child is steering one way with his steering wheel and I go another way he yells, "We are not going that way!! You are not going the right way!!" which inevitably leads to more tears and whining and probably a trip to the bathroom for some kind of discipline.
11. When you get to the checkout lane you have to switch all of your groceries over to a plain cart because, out of the corner of your eye, you catch another mom's frazzled face as she listens to her kids cry, "I want a race car cart." and out of pity you give her yours!!

I don't want to start 2008 off on a complaining note, however I do think this is a cause worth fighting for. Moms against the race car carts unite!! Who's with me???

8 comments:

Jennifer C said...

I am sooooo with you! In Texas they cost money to use them because they play music (like I want to listen to the Wiggles for an hour while shopping at Wal-Mart!!)so that is my "line" to the kids..."We're not spending money on that!"

The Millers said...

Ditto from CA! They don't even fit through the check out lane. So I have to unload then ask McK to return it, worrying that I had to send her outside, where I can't see her... I've decided that the two girls are too heavy to bother pushing so only one gets to ride. "The Bible never says life would be fair." -that's my theme song now! But now our latest episode is this... who gets to push the baby? So the other one pushes the cart. Can you imagine the accidents we've had? Yes, we've even broken parts on the stroller to say nothing of the bruises on my legs because they can't even see over the top of the stroller. Ugh! The man who invented the shopping cart noticed that when ladies' baskets were full they stopped shopping. HUM. Maybe we should go back to the basket. We'd beef up our arms, loose an extra calorie, and save money too right?
Thanks for helping me know I'm not alone! Danette

Ryan and Katie said...

Yes, yes, yes!! I am in total agreement. Jacob's latest stunt is climbing out the open windshield part while it is moving. The other thing that bugs me is when we get the huge, oversized, beastly cart and then they decide they don't want to ride in it. I can fight them to stay in but that is no fun either. Another dilemma--what am I going to do with three kids? There are only two steering wheels. Those carts have got to go!

Anonymous said...

This is hilarious Sherilyn! I will have to be in the minority for this one though. With 2.5 year old triplets it is the perfect cart for me....two down below and one up by me. This way I won't lose anyone! My only other choice is to push AND pull a cart (or leave them all at home with Scott and do my shopping in the evening). :-) Cary

Coolestmommy said...

I have to be in the dissention crowd. I found that the car cart and cookies from the bakery were the only way to survive the trip. (Of course, if we ran out of cookie and were still hungry, I take them back to the bakery and beg for another one for their survival.)
I'm even the complainer that asked for MORE of these carts at the Menards closest to home.
Of course, at this stage, I mainly shop with one so she can sit in a normal cart and face me.
But for my 'wanderer' Nathan, I still use those carts and strap him in so we don't lose him in the store.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to say, I actually like them as they keep Ella busy...so far...we'll see how much longer it works and then I'll join all of you. ;) Seems like our 2nd home right now is actually at Menards due to the finishing off our basement. So, she spends alot of time in "the car". My only thing is Menards needs to get more of them...seems like they only have 2 and we have a very sad little girl when have to have a regular cart.

Mandi

Holly said...

fight Sher...it's worth it!
you'd think it'd be the perfect cart for me too but NO. I really could use that many seats...two down front, one in the seat with me and one in the cart itself...BUT, they argue over who gets to sit in there when we start, they fight when we are driving and 1/2 way through they aren't even in there any more and I'm pushing the stupid thing around with NO kids in the car, just the twins in the cart and up front with me....some one please spare the mommies!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherlyn
Cousin Becky from Mo. I am enjoying your blog and I agree with everything you said about the racecar carts (grandsons). I will be following the blog.

Tell Claramarie that I like her glasses.