Saturday, January 8, 2011

WELCOME BACK FRIENDS...

It's been a long time since I've thought about my friends Nancy, George, and Bess.  You too Donna and Trixie and Cherry.  And of course there's Anne and Emily (well not so much Anne as I try to spend a week or so with her every winter!).

By Nancy of course I mean Nancy Drew (and her friends Bess and George).....the upstanding, loyal, detective.

By Donna I mean Donna Parker (and her friend Ricky)....the high-schooler who had friend trouble, and family trouble, and boy trouble. 

By Cherry I mean Cherry Ames (I don't think she had the same friends in all the books)....the dark-haired, rosy-cheeked, very caring nurse/detective (who I always pictured looking like a grown-up Donna Parker).

By Trixie I mean Trixie Belden (and her friends Di and Honey).....the "slightly more spunky than Nancy" detective who was always getting into scrapes.

And last but definitely not least the beloved Anne (and her friend Diana) of Green Gables and the more mysterious and only slightly less beloved Emily (and her friend Ilse) of New Moon. 

They seem like friends....friends from my youth....friends who I definitely spent many, many hours voraciously reading about! 

FINALLY much to my great delight, sweet Claremarie has discovered Nancy.  I have been trying to get her to read these books for quite a while and the suggestion has finally become a reality.  She can't get enough of them!! 

Can the rest be far behind?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

zoe's been reading them too...she has started calling herself "george" (another girl at school is "nancy.") like you, i hope the rest are not far behind!

Debbie said...

Love this post! Brought back great memories of those books. I can't wait to share them with Taylor when she gets older! :)

Ryan and Katie said...

Hallie is reading Nancy Drew too! Isn't it fun to see your kids love books?

Angela said...

Loved Nancy Drew when I was growing up! I was into Encyclopedia Brown too! :]

Hilary said...

Thanks for the ideas. Lauren loves to read and its hard to find wholesome chapter books I think. She is in the middle of the Lauren ingalls wilder books now. She is reading my favorite "on the banks of plum creek" I will recommend these books to her!

Nicole Crawford said...

You know I love this. How fun that Claremarie has started reading Nancy Drew. I hope she joins the Bob-Whites gang too. She'll even add to her vocab with words like gleeps and dungarees.

By the way, love the special effects pic of CM. Very nice. :)