Friday, August 1, 2008

TO SCOOBY OR NOT....THAT IS THE QUESTION

As you can see, Camden had a Scooby Doo birthday. He loves Scooby Doo. I started letting him watch it (the TV show-not the real people movies) a couple of years ago because as far as I remembered it was harmless. I watched it when I was little and for the most part the shows that are on now are the same ones. Until Camden started watching it, I had not remembered all the witches, demons, magic spells, etc. that the show contains. We usually don't let our kids watch shows like that so now we had a dilemma. Should we continue to let him watch it or not? We decided to only let him watch the shows without any of the supernatural stuff in it and I have been vigilant about making sure that he only sees the appropriate shows. However, we may need to rethink our decision on letting him watch it at all.

It was almost supper time not long ago and I heard a small voice from the living room say, "Fetch me my supper you serving wench."

ZOINKS! DID I REALLY JUST HEAR MY SON SAY THAT??????? I couldn't believe my ears and immediately asked where he had heard that. Guess who went to a renaissance festival to solve the latest mystery? The one, the only Scooby Doo (and Shaggy too!).

3 comments:

Jennifer C said...

We had the same "problem" and finally told the kids about a year ago that they couldn't watch it until they were a little older, but I don't know if I want them watching it at all...yet another thing to worry about. Like we moms don't have enough!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately it's not just Scooby Doo. Almost all the shows on Nick & Disney have some sort of mention of magical powers or witchcraft. It's very disturbing.

Lisa

Coolestmommy said...

We try to keep these shows out, too. Now that the oldest is 10, it's MUCH harder to monitor. Specific shows I won't budge on & they know the 'totally banned' viewing.
I know we watched it when we were kids---but when I was a kid, we didn't have other kids bringing guns to school.