Thursday, September 9, 2010

THE ROLLER COASTER....

"You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.  Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride! I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it. "                                      
From the movie Parenthood, spoken by Grandma, referring to parenting


We've been to the highest of highs and the lowest of lows around here this week with one of our precious gifts and frankly I'm not sure I can keep it up for the next however many years.  Something one kid wanted to try out for that we were sure would turn out to be a huge disappointment, actually went the opposite way and created quite the excitement in her young life and yet something else that has always been a constant in her life seems to be ebbing away and is making both of us quite sad.  She seems to be taking everything in stride, handling it.  I, on the other hand, have been worrying and fretting not wanting her to feel sad or disappointed, wishing I could ALWAYS protect her from both.  Irrationally thinking there is something I can do to make everything better.....but, there is not. 


So...I guess I need to close my eyes and put my hands up and try to enjoy the ride. 

No comments: